Monday, June 30, 2008

Reminder to self: Do a midyear assesment

Tomorrow is the start of the 2nd half of the year. I think it's appropriate to do an assessment of how our year's going so far. Time to check that list of new year's resolution--our targets for this year--taking special note of those we've ignored and procrastinated doing again.

I know it sounds like a daunting task--maybe even a painful one for some. Inasmuch as we wanted to be better this year--more in control, more successful, more fruitful--things just haven't panned out... yet.

Yes, I am suggesting that this coming half is still enough time to catch up. If we used the first half to mess things up, we can use the second half to clean up our acts. Sure we need to hustle a little bit. Be more aggressive in correcting our deficiencies. Rewrite those goals again and set out to do them, one tiny bit at a time. I say do it now or regret it later.

Permit me to cite the recently concluded NBA Finals (yes, I enjoy using NBA and basketball to illustrat my point). Let's take a look and contrast Games 4 and 6.

  • In Game 4, the Boston Celtics were down 18 points at the half playing at the Lakers' home court. Did they give up? No siree! They chipped that lead down bit by bit using their tenacious D and went on to steal that game 97-91.
  • In Game 6, the LA Lakers were down 23 points at the half playing to stay alive and hoping to force a decisive Game 7. They went on to lose by 39 points setting a record for margin of lost in a clincher game for the finals.
So would you rather be a Celtic or a Laker?

3 comments:

joyfulchicken said...

So what are the items on your list and what's the score? :-P

Momisodes said...

Celtic!!!! What can I say? I'm biased ;)

philos said...

@JC: Err... I don't make new year's resolution, I am behind on my goal to take the NPTE by June though (obviously hehe)

@sandy: good for you! :)