Friday, May 29, 2009

What is sandbox?


sandbox [sand-boks] –noun

a box or receptacle for holding sand, esp. one large enough for children to play in.

If you're from the Philippines like I am, it's entirely possible you missed out on the whole sandbox thing. We have the streets where we play tumbang preso and such, but that's for when you already are friends. A sandbox is literally a box full of sands where your parents would leave you to play, dig around, and discover stuff for yourself. Discover what exactly? Friendships for one, some that quite possibly will last your whole life.

How exactly does the sandbox exprience create lasting bonds? Frankly, I don't know. I imagine it could be because in the sandbox, we allow people to touch and see us unadorned--relaxed and carefree--something we wouldn't normally allow them to in another setting. Maybe its the feeling of being co-discoverer of the seemingly new world around you that caused that bond to be formed. Or perhaps its the exclusive yet open nature of the sandbox that gives one that combined feeling of safety and freedom.

I don't know, perhaps I'm merely spinning words here. I never really had that as a kid. Do I wish I did? Hmm... maybe. I'm not sure. I know I'd want a grownup version of that though. And guess what? I just might have found one. Mysandbox.com just launched last Saturday. Is it anything like I described up there? That and more!

Sure it's not a perfect product yet, but which sandbox ever is? It's the presence of us kids that gives us that unique sandbox experience. Mine's not really complete yet, so please join me and sign up. And make sure to let me know of your sandbox experience. ...oh, and please look me up when you do, the name's KingArthur.

Click the image to sign up!

NB By the way, you get a doughnut and coffee at Krispy Kreme just for signing up! Now isn't that a cool welcome gift to play in the sandbox? Let me know if you need company!

6 comments:

Lizz said...

Haha, neat picture. Sandbox has been a little troublesome lately, but hopefully the bugs will be ironed out soon...

philos said...

@Lizz: All part of the growing pains I'm sure. As for the picture, I just "borrowed" it :p

Anonymous said...

it is some kind of social network site this mysandbox.com?

philos said...

@PM: In a way it is. It's like friendster that it's a social networking site. It's like youtube in that you can post videos. Like multiply in that you can post photos hehe...

joyfulchicken said...

@philos: You meant "stole" :-P

philos said...

@JC: A simple matter of perspective :P