Tuesday, September 29, 2009

No undoing Ondoy

The last couple of days, I've been thinking of things that we could've done differently, things if undone would made things better. Bringing the car to higher ground instead of leaving it in the driveway... moving our ground floor things to the 2nd floor instead of merely raising it 4 feet off the ground.... making a force field that would block the water's aggressive foray into our home. I know that last one sounds ridiculous, but having prophetic visions that would allow me to forsee a catastrophe of this magnitude borders on the ridiculous too. And if by some odd twist of fate I'm granted the chance to walk back to Friday night, I'm not sure I'd want to relive it all again. Make no mistake, I will if I can. I'll try to warn as many people could be managed. I'm just not sure if there's anything I can really do to change the bottomline.


Flood inside our house.... but at least we were safe and warm.

So no, I don't believe we can undo Ondoy. What we can do though is to draw strength from this. The next few nights might be hard. A good many of us would have to start from scratch. Many are still grieving the lost of family and friends. Yet the finest steel is forged through the fiercest furnace and the best diamonds are churned by seemingly insurmountable pressure.

Our door as a depth reference.

We who lived through this have the obligation to move forward and draw strenght from this ordeal. Whether it were nerve wracking moments waiting for word that your family is safe, or traversing highways that suddenly became powerful rivers; whether your house got carried off, or just the feeling of security that should go with having a roof over your head; whether you lost everything or just your piece of mind; we need to stand up and be strong. We need to take control of this situation and be the better for it.


Still, were much better off inside than outside.

There's still a hundred of things that needs doing. There are still thousands of people that needs helping. No, there's no undoing Ondoy, but we can still overcome Ondoy. We have to.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my....=( thank GOd you and your family are ok...

-kathleen

Lester said...

What can I say? It's gracious of the Lord that you and your family are OK. Hopefully your neighbors are OK too.

We got flooded too. Deepest though would be only half of yours (thigh deep).

Lizz said...

Same thing happened at my parents' house in Katipunan-- crazy flooding on the first floor and a couple of cars submerged. :( Still, the important thing is that everyone pulled through. Am really glad that you're all safe, too! Good luck with the clean-up...

joyfulchicken said...

Wow, that was bad. Glad you're okay.

ceemee said...

There was so much water! Thank God you and your family are safe. The first floor of my parents' house was submerged, too. It was crazy!

darkjedi said...

Heartbreaking to see a shiny new house get ravaged like that.

We only had a maximum of 8 inches of flooding inside our home. Things could have been a lot worse for us as we were totally unprepared (uncharged emergency lights, no batteries, didn't bring up food and supplies, etc..).

But there's nothing like a crisis to get us out of boredom and complacency. Thank God for a wake up call that wasn't too costly.

crickette inserto said...

it is people like u that make me smile nowadays. i thank God for keeping your family safe...

God will let us get through this...
take care always.

philos said...

@Kat & Les: Yeah, praise God that we're warm and safe. Glad you guys are safe too.

@Lizz: Yeah, thanks. Clean up's done for the most part. Just the car and the ref yung problem. Glad you're safe.

@JC: Yeah, but your adventure wasn't exactly fun hehe... glad you're safe.

@Cym: It was crazy alright. How bout you? Is your family alright?

@darkjedi: For you it isn't, for a lot of people, it cost them everything but their life... but I get you. Glad your family's fine.

@Crickette: That He does, not always the way we expect it, but He will get us through this. Thanks! How bout you and your family? Are you alright?

darkjedi said...

regarding your car... right beside the entrance to our subdivision is a car wash. it's been filled with a long queue of cars though for the past several days.
and along our street, car maintenance centers by the major car companies (toyota, honda, mitsubishi, etc) are just as busy.

Anonymous said...

glad you are safe. hope you can pick up the house soon. that flood sure was bad.

Momisodes said...

I am so glad to hear that you and your family are okay. I immediately thought of you and others when I saw this on the news. Please know that you are in my thoughts during these tough times.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Art. I feel deeply for you and the many more who had to endure this harrowing experience. I don't know whether I should be grateful that I was out of the country when Ondoy came and I was spared of the trauma, on the other hand, there is this feeling of regret, some tugging within that I was not part of some relief operation or any activity to make the situation a little easier for those affected. It scares me to realize that all of us can be in a situation, natural or man-made that we can not really do anything about. In any part of the world, disaster does and can happen.

I wanted to see your new house, never thought it would be through Ondoy. I am glad things are getting better again for you and your family and to many others. Best regards to everyone.
- Doc J

Anonymous said...

Didn't imagine the waters got so deep inside your house until i saw your post. Glad to know you guys were able pull through this disaster. God Bless!

-candy